The vision of the South Orange Middle School Library is to seek to create a 21st century environment that promotes learning for all students by providing equitable access to information, teaching information literacy skills, and encouraging lifelong reading.
Our mission is to provide students with the opportunity to become not only lifelong users of information, but also creators of information. The library will support the curriculum by collaborating with teachers, developing a collection that is representative of the community, and providing the resources that students need to succeed academically.
- To create a learning environment that provides access to the newest and most up-to-date technology which makes the media center an integral part of the classroom.
- To collaborate with teachers to develop curriculum-based units that encourage student interaction with both print and electronic resources.
- To build student knowledge of research strategies including setting criteria for credibility, accuracy and relevance.
- To cultivate lifelong readers who find joy and knowledge from reading books and utilizing other media.
- To communicate with parents the services available to students through the SOMS Library.